There are many opportunities for students to participate in activities which are additional to the key curriculum.
Band and String Ensemble
Holy Family has a Senior Band and a Junior Band, as well as a String Ensemble. Membership in the bands is open to all children from Years 3 – 6. Students from Year 1 – 6 are welcome to join Strings.
The Holy Family School Choir is open to all students in Years 3 – 6 and meets weekly at lunchtime. The Choir has opportunities to perform publicly throughout the year at whole school events, Masses and Liturgies, Lourdes Nursing Home visits, etc..
Year 6 participate in a Debating circle during Term 2, competing against other nearby schools. This opportunity enables the students to learn team work, articulation, knowledge and quick thinking skills.
Years 5 and 6 have the opportunity to participate in this program held during Terms 2 and 3. The aim of this challenge program is to introduce students to important mathematical concepts, to develop problem solving skills.
Tournament of Minds
Tournament of Minds (TOM) is a problem solving programme for teams of students from Years 5 and 6.
Teams solve challenges from a choice of disciplines: Applied Technology, Language Literature, Maths Engineering and Social Sciences.
There are also a number of external opportunities for Holy Family students:
- Dance classes – held in the School hall Monday – Thursday.
- Chess – takes place during Terms 2 & 3 at lunchtime.
- Keyboard lessons – held in the Music room before school.
The da Vinci Decathlon is an opportunity to test your mental and creative skills in a state-wide challenge of excellence. The da Vinci Decathlon is an academic competition designed to challenge and stimulate the minds of students, who compete in teams of eight across 10 disciplines.
Each team of eight students competes in the following disciplines:
- Mathematics – problem solving, number patterns and logic puzzles
- English – spelling, word origins, definitions, textual analysis and writing tasks
- Science – engage with higher level scientific concepts and test your ability to apply them
- Code Breaking – decipher complex, mysterious codes
- Engineering Challenge – a design task that tests problem solving skills, creativity and ingenuity
- Ideation – The process of creating NEW ideas
- Creative Producers – create and perform a 60sec drama or 30sec commercial to promote a product
- Art and Poetry – develop an original poem and a connected art work on a given theme
- Cartography – interpret spatial information, decipher and create imaginative maps
- Legacy – with a focus on honouring significant people, inventions and events from the past and the present.
All tasks in the da Vinci Decathlon emphasise higher order thinking skills – assisting students to develop their abilities in analysis, synthesis and creativity.